Thursday, August 06, 2009

Luke Study Chapter 1 Verses 8-12

Luke 1:8-12
"So it was, that while he was serving as priest before God in the order of his division, according to the custom of the priesthood, his lot fell to burn incense when he went into the temple of the Lord. And the whole multitude of the people was praying outside at the hour of incense. Then an Angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing on the right side of the altar of incense. And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him."

he was serving - Zacharias was serving God when he was spoken to by God through an angel

custom of the priesthood - Zacharias was serving according to the customs of the priesthood that were pre-established

his lot fell to burn incense - in order to choose who would burn the incense when he went into the temple of the Lord, they would cast lots (today it would be like drawing the shortest stick, rolling the dice for the highest number, or taking a card from a deck and drawing the ace to go first)

whole multitude of the people was praying - Incense were burned as an offering of prayer to God. The people outside were praying in hopes that God would hear them.

Angel of the Lord appeared - Zacharias was being spoken to by God, through an Angel of the Lord, in a special way.

he was troubled, and fear fell upon him - There is nothing like seeing something or someone out of the ordinary. This someone was sent from the Most Holy, Someone he had spent most of his life serving. Serving and I'm sure at times, like any human, having doubts and serving anyway. Now here was someone sent by God.

Journal Entry:

Yesterday during my ultrasound they found a cyst on my right ovary. It is only 61 mm, converted to 6.1 cm. They are going to have me rest a month. I'm kinda glad. I need the break, but at the same time of course I want to get this out of the way.

Lord, the only way I can hear from You is if I am serving You. Why do I so easily forget this simple concept that all my faith is based upon? When I am looking to other things to serve, I can not hear Your voice. I hear Your voice calling me, but if I don't answer that voice I am lost. Lord, may my prayers be as incense rising unto You. You are a Most Holy God! You are worthy of all my praise. Amen.

No comments: