"But the angel said to him, 'Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth. For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. And he will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God. He will also go before Him in the spirit and power of Elijah, 'to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children,' and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.'"
angel said to him - The angel of the Lord was speaking directly to Zacharias.
your prayer is heard - Zacharias had been praying for a long time.
call his name John - God had a name and plan for this child.
you will have joy and gladness - This child would bring them joy and gladness.
many will rejoice at his birth - Many will rejoice because either, those who knew Elizabeth thought she would be barren all of her days or because later in John's life he would have made such a difference in the lives of those around him preparing the way of the Lord.
great in the sight of the Lord - John would be great in the sight of God.
shall drink neither wine nor strong drink - John would not be influenced by wine nor strong drink.
be filled with the Holy Spirit - The Holy Spirit would be guiding his feet as he prepared the way of the Lord.
even from his mother's womb - It is stated in Luke 1:41-42 that John leaped in Elizabeth's womb when he heard the voice of Mary. Elizabeth then spoke with a loud voice a blessing unto Mary.
will turn many of the children of Israel to the Lord their God - John was going to be used as an instrument of God to turn the hearts of Israelites toward God.
go before Him - John's "mission" was to go before Jesus to prepare them for the Savior.
spirit and power of Elijah - In Malachi 4:5 it is prophesied that Elijah the prophet would come to them before the coming of the Lord. In Matthew 11:14-15 Jesus confirmed that John was Elijah returned.
turn the hearts of the fathers to the children - There would be an older generation guiding a younger generation in the ways of God.
the disobedient to the wisdom of the just - Many of those opposed to God would look to the just for wisdom, because of God's use of John.
make ready a people prepared for the Lord - Many times, as humans, we have to hear a message more than once for it to sink in. John was used to go before the Lord, in order that Jesus' words would be heard with the heart and not the head.
Journal Entry:
Today is going to be a good day. I am in Indy visiting family and friends. I am arrived last night. This morning I am going to Brown County to visit my grandparents. Later today I am going to the State Fair with one of my friends from high school, her husband and six-month old child. I am so looking forward to it.
Lord, I know this path You have before me and have led me on was set forth by You. You have a plan in all that You do. Help me to keep my heart on You and turning to those with Godly wisdom. You have prepared my heart to walk this path. You have blessed me abundantly in so many ways. I have a supportive family, both Aaron's and mine. I just love my husband. I have my baby girl, Zoey. We have a nice house. We both have jobs. There is so much to be thankful for at all times, even if all I have it You. In the end, that is all that I do have. Everything else in my life could perish all around me, but I would still have You. I'm sorry for my ungratefulness. Forgive me for looking at what I don't have, instead of looking to You. I love You, my gracious God. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment