Luke 1:18
"And Zacharias said to the angel, 'How should I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.'"
Zacharias said to the angel - Zacharias got over his initial fear enough to speak back to the angel.
How should I know this? - Zacharias wanted a sign or something to hold on to.
I am an old man - Zacharias was looking at physical facts, not at what God was about to do.
My wife is well advanced in years - Elizabeth was past the age of child-bearing.
Journal Entry:
Yesterday morning I decided to go to Brown County to visit my grandma before meeting up with my friend Robin for the State Fair. I am so glad I did. I love going out to the farm. I had lunch with them as they (my grandma and cousin Andrea) took a break from canning cucumbers, onions and pickles. She always makes the best sweet tea. We had garden grown tomatoes and onions on our sandwiches. I even tried pickled yellow peppers. They were good. I miss living in Indiana. I miss being around family. I did get a little sad at one point. My grandma was talking about how many great grandchildren she had. She has 19. None of those children are from Aaron and I.
I often get sad when I think of my parents, and especially Aaron's parents, not being able to enjoy any grandchildren from us. With my parents it is because they would get to see grandchildren more often than they see the others. With Aaron's parents it is because they have no grandchildren. Aaron's mom has no grandchildren to speak of when her friends are talking about their new grandbabies. It is also a reminder though that we are not in this alone. However, it is also a reminder that we are preventing them from having grandchildren at this point.
Lord, once again I ask that You would help me to hate the sins of pride and jealousy more than sadness. I also pray against the sin of not being content in all things. There are bonuses to not having children in this season of life. At times, I do feel like I am getting too old. Thirty is not too old to have a child, but what about the other ones that I want after the first? So often I want a promise, a sign, something to hold on to. Let me rely on You instead. Help us, Aaron and I, to not look at the physical facts that we see with our human eyes. Help us to look to You and what You have planned for us in the days, weeks, months and years to come. Amen.
Saturday, August 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment