Wednesday, March 29, 2006

For the love of Romans

Tonight during Bible Study we flipped through Romans a little. As we were reading I noted all the highlights I had in the book of Romans. I never realized this before, but Romans must actually be my favorite chapter in the Bible, at least in the New Testament. I really like Proverbs.

Anyway, looking at all my highlights reminds me of when I was more consistant with spending time with God. I've said a billion times I want that discipline back in my life, but yet it seems to not come to me like it once did. It has a lot to do with me, but a lot to do with being married also. Being married should not be an excuse, but I've been using it. It was so much easier when it was just me and God in that area. The Bible is so true when it says once you get married, your thoughts become more toward your husband. My discipline use to be every morning. It might be a selfish thing, but not necessarily a bad thing either. I tried starting the discipline again awhile back. However, I love sleeping in until the last moment sharing that time with Aaron. Can someone please help me with this? Give me some ideas? What are your disciplines?

Ok, hopefully I get a couple answers on that one. Anyway, you can already probably tell I am not going to finish my study on the Ten Commandments. I'm a very inconsistant person. I do want to write out a little of Romans though. I would like to say I am going to go through Romans and write out all the highlighted areas. However, I would be saying something that probably won't happen. I will however begin and you can bet your bottom dollar that I won't get anywhere close to the end.

Romans 3:21-24
"But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus."

I'm trying to think of where I heard the glory of God being preached on. It was recently, but I can't think of where. However, something really stood out to me. Moses saw God walking away from him. When Moses went out to the others, they could not stand to look at him because his face was so bright. Moses had to put a veil over his face after being in the presence of God. If Moses just caught a little of God's glory that made others shut their eyes to where they could not behold him, can you imagine what the fullness of God's glory is? Now, think about yourself. Is there any glory in comparison to God. We count glory as winning a football game or being the town hero. What is that in comparison to what I have described as Moses' encounter?

I remember where I heard it. We talked about it in small group Sunday night.

This verse also stands out to me, because it is the righteousness of God that is revealed to all and on all who believe. The righteousness of God, apart from the law, but yet witnessed by the Law and the prophets is revealed to us who believe. There is no difference between you and I for we have all fallen short. What does it mean though to be justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Him?

Justified is a pardoning of sins. This is done so freely by His grace, but only through the redemption that is found in Him.

2 comments:

Rachel Pierson said...

Erica,

THere's a place on the Rails to Trails that always reminds me of Moses wanting to see God's glory. God said that he couldn't see Him and live, so He put him in a cleft of the rock and covered him with His hand as He passed. Then He took away His hand and Moses saw His afterglow. There are rocks there on the trail that have large fisures, not large enough for a man, but large enough to remind me of that, and thank God for His Son, His protection and His covering.

I, also am lacking in this daily discipline. I don't want to diminish its importance, but I find myself thinking about God all the time. If I could get the two together, that would be heaven!

Do you still want mornings? I always liked mornings, but that snooze alarm temps me. I will pray for you, and you pray for me. Tomorrow, I will get up and spend time in God's word and in prayer.

In Christ,
Rachel

Erica said...

I'm thinking nights instead of mornings. I usually wind down on the computer, cross-stitch or something before I go to bed anyway. It is just the matter of setting a time