Thursday, December 11, 2008

Marriage vs. Not Marriage

Ok, so this has been coming up in my mind alot lately. I have been raised to believe and believe for myself that there should not be intimacy before marriage. However, I now work with someone who has lived with her boyfriend for 13 years and has had 3 children with him. Even though she will never marry (she has stated several times) I believe she has a better concept of marriage than most married couples. We've talked about our "marriages" and the relationships we have with our "spouses." There are no differences in how they treat each other and the values they hold in the relationship compared with Aaron and I.

In conversations I have not even tried to defend marriage, because I know without her being a Christian it would probably make no sense. It is just very hard when society has made marriage "just a peice of paper." It would be just as easy for Aaron to walk out on me rather or not we had that peice of paper. So what do you say?

After reading this article, http://www.gotquestions.org/marriage-Bible.html, I just don't think marriage in the true Biblical sense is something non-Christians can grasp. Unfortunately, many Christian couples haven't grasped it. I just wish I knew where to start with the whole concept when talking to a non-Christian. I feel like I should defend marriage and I don't even think this person would shun me for my beliefs. However, the concept is so big with society being the way it is. May God give me the words at times when I don't know if I should say something.

1 comment:

Rachel Pierson said...

I'm not sure if this would help, but I am convinced that God can use concepts like this to share the Gospel. If you explained, lovingly, why marriage was created by God, and how it is the image of Christ and His Church, it may be a spring board into further conversation, simply because it is such a foreign concept in this world.

Does that make any sense at all?

Rachel