This morning during my quiet time I came across the 10 commandments. As many times as I have read them, Commandment #1 really stood out to me. I never realized the part where it clearly says, "You shall not make for yourself a carved image any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth (Exodus 20:4);" It then goes on to say, "you shall not bow down to them nor serve them (Ex. 20:5a)."
It just gave me something to think about:
1. Are we to even to have crosses made, such as necklaces with crosses?
2. I don't know the original Greek, but I wonder because it says not to make it and bowing down is stated totally separate. It doesn't say, "You shall not make it for purposes of serving or bowing down to the object." It says don't make it and then the next sentence says don't bow down to it. It is almost like we are not even to make it in the first place.
3. I can almost see the reason for this, because we should be known for our fruit and not because of a cross hanging around our neck. Anyone can wear the necklace. However, at the same time the cross around our neck can serve as a reminder of what Christ did for us. Then again, how often do we really think of Christ's resurrection because of a cross we wear around our neck. It is something we have to self-consciously do anyway.
Anyway, these are just thoughts and another challenge to our thinking as Christians.
P.S. I have updated my Xanga blog with pictures of my scrapbooking.
Friday, November 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment