Genesis 13:10-18
"And Lot lifted his eyes and saw all the plain of Jordan, that it was well-watered everywhere (before the Lord destroyed Sodom & Gomorrah) like the garden of the Lord, like the land of Egypt as you go toward Zoar. Then Lot chose for himself all the plain of Jordan, and Lot journeyed east. And they separated from each other. Abram dwelt in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelt in the cities of the plain and pitched his tent even as far as Sodom. But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the Lord.
And the Lord said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: 'Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are--northward, southward, eastward, and westward; for all the land which you see I give to you and your descendants forever. And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if a man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered. Arise, walk in the land through its length and its width, for I give it to you.' Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre, which are in Hebron, and built and altar there to the Lord."
Lot was given the choice of where to go by Abram. Lot looked at what he thought was good because of the riches & good land, but we later find out his area chosen was destroyed (Gen. 19). Abram on the other hand, chose to go the opposite way of Lot and once Lot was gone the Lord confirmed his promise within Abram again. I don't believe Abram at the time had any idea what the Lord was talking about, but was blessed all the same.
I need to question within myself, "How often do I look at what others have or what looks to be good in my eyes, and go after it?" What looks pleasing to my eyes, is not always what the Lord has in store. His ways are sweeter than honey and tastier than wine. Well, for me it is tastier than my favorite taste, since wine isn't one of my favorites. :) Just as Abram and Lot led different lives and went separate ways, so God's plans for His children are all different.
I was staring out the sliding glass door yesterday looking at the snow, watching Jack, just letting my mind wander. I began to wonder how I ever ended up here. It is weird how we have our lives all planned out, but can't picture how it will really end up in reality. I had sensings before I met Aaron that I would one day live out of Indiana. I had no idea where though. I love dogs, but had no idea my husband would come with a crazy mutt. God puts desires in our hearts for a purpose, but it is in His hands on how the desires are put into play. God just continues to amaze me.
Lord, when I lose heart and am lost looking to what You are doing in the lives of others, bring me back to You and Your plans for me. I remember as a child my mom telling me, "Don't worry about 'so-n-so.' Worry about yourself." Usually she would say this when I was tattling or arguing with my sister. However, this same idea needs to be transferred into my greedy heart. Lord, instead of looking to others, help me to look to You above all else. You have a wonderful plan for my life. When will I fully believe it & trust You completely? Thank You Lord for not giving up on me, but continuing to work in the heart of Your daughter. I love You. Amen.
Monday, January 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment