"This is the geneology of Shem: Shem was one hundred years old, and begot Arphaxad two years after the flood."
Genesis 11:12
"Arphaxad lived thirty-five years, and begot Salah."
Genesis 11:14
"Salah lived thirty years, and begot Eber."
Genesis 11:16
"Eber lived thirty-four years, and begot Peleg."
Genesis 11:18
"Peleg lived thirty years, and begot Reu."
Genesis 11:20
"Reu lived thirty-two years, and begot Serug."
Genesis 11:22
"Serug lived thirty years, and begot Nahor."
Genesis 11:24
"Nahor lived twenty-nine years, and begot Terah."
Genesis 11:26
"Now Terah lived seventy years, and begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran."
Here is where the study begins:
Genesis 11:27-28
"This is the geneology of Terah: Terah begot Abram, Nahor, and Haran. Haran begot Lot. And Haran died before his father Terah in his native land, in Ur of the Chaldeans."
Genesis 11:31-32
"And Terah took his son Abram and his grandson Lot, the son of Haran, and his daughter-in-law Sarai, his son Abram's wife, and they went out with them from Ur of the Chaldeans to go to the land of Canaan; and they came to Haran and dwelt there. So the days of Terah were two hundred and five years, and Terah died in Haran."
Genesis 12:1-3
"Now the Lord had said to Abram:
'Get out of your country,
From your family
and from your father's house,
To a land that I will show you.
I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of
Terah began a journey that Abram would later finish.
-
1. Have you ever thought about how you ended up where you are currently?
2. What led to those events which led you here at this point in time?
3. Have you ever created a map of your journey?
4. Have you ever thought about the things in your life that would have never happened had you not been in a particular place at a particular time?
-
Terah never made it out of his own country. He just moved to another city within his home territory.
-
1. Have you ever thought that even if you never move, future generations could also be affected by that choice?
-
What if my mother had never lived anywhere other than Indianapolis, in the same house for all the days of her life (this is not really the case). I still would have met Aaron. However, had Aaron not moved to Indiana, I would have never met him. God had a hand in it. It was not just coincidence that the Army found him a job in Bloomington and I had lived in Indianapolis most of my life before he came along.
-
Just as Abram had no idea how big of an impact his move would have on future generations, we don't either. It is kind of cool to think about.
-
In the bigger scope of things, think of where you live, the people you know, the jobs you've had, etc. With the move Aaron and I just made we have made new friends. They never knew we existed before the move. We have touched their lives and they have touched ours. Maybe they need us for this period of time, just as we need them. I don't think it is coincidence that our small group leaders are working through issues with their parents just as I am currently working on issues with my dad. I can just think of all the ways this move has affected my life. If we ever do have children, the place I live now will affect my children. How? Because of the issues I am dealing with at this point in time around the people I am around, my being is changing because of their guidance and the answers they give. If I lived elsewhere the guidance and answers would be different most likely. Who I am when our possible children are born and when I meet other people in my future will determine the minds of others, if only by a small iota of an amount.
-
Memory of the day:
-
I remember my dad had a motorcycle when I was young and my parents were still together. There was a frog near it on our patio. We used our foot to stomp right behind it to make it jump.

No comments:
Post a Comment