Thursday, September 21, 2006

Dad's Stroke

Earlier this week my biological dad had a minor stroke. I have went through many thoughts and feelings before and since I found out. I guess he woke up and his right leg was bothering him. He went ahead and went to work. However, his leg continued getting worse. He started tripping on things and fell down a couple times. He quit work for the day and went to the hospital. They told him he had a minor stroke.

I haven't talked to my dad since April at my sister's wedding. This is not unusual. As I have gotten older, he has become more and more distant. There is very little relationship left. Aaron is taking off work Friday and we will be visiting him. Please pray for me.

I have three items I wish to discuss. I'm not sure which ones will be talked about and I'm not sure of the words that will be used.

1. If he has a will, death wishes, life insurance, etc.
2. If he could change anything about his relationship with my sister and I, what would he do differently?
3. and most important, about salvation.

Number three will be the hardest for me. It isn't the normal "I'm afraid" or "what will he say" that I run across with anyone else. My dad and I have talked about religion and God since I was young. He believes he is saved. I believe differently. The reason it is hardest for me is because I'm afraid I will walk away and he will still believe he is saved and everything is ok. I believe he will think nothing needs to change in his relationship with Christ, or lack there of.

I'm not sure how to approach any of these topics. God gave me a few verses earlier this week, which I believe will be verses I will share with him. I'm hoping the conversation just takes off from there. It has been around 7 years since we have had a serious conversation. Can an old man change his ways?

Same but another topic:

This morning on my walk over here to the library (we don't have internet yet set up at the new house) I stopped by our small group leaders house. I mainly just went over there to tell her we wouldn't be at church. There is a party after church and we were going to be following them. Anyway, she invited me in and we talked for about an hour or more. It was just a really good conversation. She went through some of the same things with her dad that I am going through now.

Our small group leaders only live a mile from us and the library is 1.5 miles. It is kind of nice to be able to walk places. Cortland is only around 3 miles wide from either direction.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Erica,
I understand what you are going through. I will be praying for you as you seek to serve the Lord.
Blessings, Kim