Last Friday was a day like any other, but Friday evening/night was one unlike any in the history of my life. I should have known the night was going to be a doozy when I was leaving work.
Incident #1
Thought to self, "Someone took the trash out of the trash can and didn't take it to the garbage dumpster." (refering to the one in the break room at work) "I will be nice and take it out when I take my garbage from the kitchen out." I set both garbage bags outside the building to take to the dumpster on my way out to my car. I go back into work to grab my purse and jacket. I come back out and to my dismay only the kitchen trash bag is sitting outside. Surely someone wouldn't have just taken one trash bag and not the other for me. I look to my right and the trash from the trash bag is blown everywhere. After taking the kitchen trash to the garbage can I pick up what I can in the parking lot. Out of curiousity, I drive the direction of where the trash bag would have went to see how far the trash bag had gotten. I see the trash bag 1/4 mile from the daycare and all of its contents in-between. I felt bad for leaving all that litter, but I would have been there all evening.
Incident #2
I went home and let the dogs out for a little while as I packed. I left home and headed to Indy. I had the Mini-Marathon to walk on Saturday morning. I stayed the night at my friend Agatha's house. I drove through wind. I drove through rain. I was on a roll and was beating the rain storm. In Lowell, IN just getting onto I-65 South I needed to get gas and there was a Flying J. I park my car, got out and shut the door. "Oh crap, I locked my keys inside. What do I do?" I called Hubby and then AAA. An hour later AAA shows up. The funny thing about the AAA guy is that he used my window as a mirror, in the process of unlocking my car, to pick his nose. He checked to see if I was watching him, and probably thought I wasn't. It was quite gross. Anyway, he did get my car unlocked and I got back on the road. I had to get ahead of that rain storm again. It had caught up to me.
Incident #3
I was able to get ahead of that rainstorm again. Everything is going great. The lightning was pretty cool to watch in my rearview mirror. It was one of those big black dark storms where the lightning lights up the whole sky. Pretty cool! I take I-65 to the 38th street exit and I hit a bump. "Ah, must just have been a rock or something." I get about a mile from Agatha's when I whole car feels like it is going to fall apart. I called Aaron, which I had already told him bye for the night and wasn't going to call him unless I needed to call him. I told him my car felt like it was going to fall apart at any moment. My car starts leaning more and more toward the front passenger side.
Me: I blew a tire.
Aaron: Stop on the side of the road.
Me: I don't want to. I'm only 1/2 mile from Agatha's.
Aaron: You need to stop.
Me: No, I think I can make it.
Aaron: Ok, try it.
Me: Umm, I'm pulling over. My tires flat and I'm on the rim.
In talking to Aaron, we decided I call AAA again and then Agatha so she could come and sit with me until AAA got there. Besides, it isn't the best side of town and it was 10:30pm. I called Agatha and she rushed to my side. As we were sitting there the rain storm had caught me once again.
Agatha: How long until AAA comes?
Me: About an hour
Agatha: Why don't I just call Mark and I'm sure he'll come and change your tire.
Me: Sounds good.
Mark lives at the church and Agatha lives in a house next to the church. She calls Mark and he says he will be right over. Now mind you, it is pouring down drenching heavy rains. A car pulls up behind us. It isn't Mark. That's weird. They aren't getting out of their car. There are two guys. Wait a minute. I don't see one now. Where did he go? Ok, there he is. Uhhhhh, Mark get here quick before they get to our car. Dear Lord, get Mark here now. Oh, it is a couple of Mark's friends from Agatha's church. They were waiting until the rain let up a little bit before they got out of their cars. Mark arrived. A total of 4 guys. Mark brought another friend with him.
For about 15 minutes in the rain we all discuss what is going on. Meanwhile, I call AAA and tell them I am being taken care of by four guys and they can cancel my order. The guys decide to have me drive on my rim the 1/4 mile to the church parking lot at a snail pace. Agatha drove to lead the way, while the three trucks drove behind. I'm sure we were quite the scene. For some odd reason they didn't want to change my tire going uphill with traffic racing on both sides of us. I make it to the church parking lot when the skies open up and downpour everything upon us. In all of the downpour the guys change my tire and put my spare on. Man, do I own them some cookies or what?
Mini-Marathon
We survived. We walked it on four hours of sleep. Our time: 3:49:29 at a 17:35 min/mile. Last year we did better, but all is good. We went to Cheesecake Factory for traditional purposes. We earned it. Other than missing my exit out of Chicago and going 15 minutes out of my way, the trip home Sunday was thankfully uneventful.
The actual events did take place. They are fact and are not made up. The conversations took place by said persons, but may not be 100% word for word.
Thursday, May 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
1) I think it's hilarious that the dude had to use a mirror to pick his nose. Normally one can do that withotu the use of a visiual aid. ;)
2) There were 3 cars following you (craig had driven his truck)...So there was actually a total of 5 in the caravan. Which made for an even more hilarious sight....;)
3) I'm so glad your trip back home was was uneventful! did I tell you that when you called on Sunday, I was actually searching the Art Museum garden grounds because Jaci's aunt had lost her keys????
4) Love ya!
Post a Comment