Recently, I have been reminded of a study I dropped off from doing around this time last year. I had started studying Jesus' descendents one at a time. I had left off with Abram and never finished studying him. I am returning to that study for my Scripture Saturdays portion of my blog.
These verses in Genesis take place just after a major battle between Sodom and Gomorrah with Chedorlaomer.
Genesis 14:12-16
"And they took Lot, Abram's brother's son, who dwelt in Sodom, and his goods, and departed.
And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew; for he dwelt in the plain of Mamre the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner: and these were confederate with Abram. And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he armed his trained servents, born in his own house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued them unto Dan. And he divided himself against them, he and his servants, by night, and smote them, and pursued them unto Hobah, which is on the left hand of Damascus. And he brought back all the goods, and also brought again his brother Lot, and his goods, and the women also, and the people."
How often do we do battle for our friends? I'm not talking about a physical battle, but a spirtual one. I know I rarely pray for my saved or unsaved friends. I get so caught up in me, I don't think about others. I think about the battle I am currently facing, regardless if large or small, and don't think about my closest friends and what they are battling. Abram went to battle for a family member he had departed. There are people in my past that I no longer associate with that I don't pray for. There are those at work, at church, back home, and elsewhere I don't lift a prayer for. Sometimes I talk to God about different people and what is going in my heart concerning them, but I can't think of the last time I got down on my knees and truly interceded for someone. My prayer life is like going to look at the battle from afar, but not truly getting involved. When will this change? Why won't I let God change it?
Lord, break my heart to be broken for those that need my prayers.
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment