Sunday, August 26, 2007

Psalm 91:1

Psalm 91:1
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty."

Dwell (www.dictionary.com) - to live or stay as a permanent resident, to live or continue in a given condition or state

Shelter (www.dictionary.com) - something beneath, behind, or within which a person, animal or thing is protected from storms, missiles, adverse conditions, etc (refuge)

Notes: To dwell means to take up permanent residence. Pastor Steve talked this morning on Psalm 91 & he had stated something to the effect that we are not to just show up at church on Sunday and get our "fill" for the week. Dwelling is a permanent condition.

As Christians we don't just dwell anywhere. We are to dwell under the shelter of the Most High. The shelter provided to us is a shelter of refuge away from enemy damage. We are still bombed at and shot at, but we are protected from the firing by a heavenly Father who loves us. When we are dwelling under the shelter of the Most High, we are focused on Him and see through the "windows" of our shelter with His eyes.

When I first looked at this verse this morning, I focused in on the word shadow. When we are dwelling under the shelter of the Most High, we are in His shadow. Just think of a shadow. To walk in someones shadow you have to be pretty close in distance to that person. There is no invisible American personal space between the two of you. Also, to continue walking in the person's shadow you need to turn corners as the person turns corners, almost predicting every move. In the same way, we need to be walking that close to the Most High.

Sometimes we may be walking in back of the Most High, following after Him. Sometimes we may be walking beside Him as a friend. Other times, we may be walking in front of Him being pushed along.

Maybe I'm taking this too deep, but I'm going to post it anyway.

The shadow's position depends upon the position of the sun. There would be no shadow if not for the sun. There is no other way to dwell in the shadow of the Most High, other than through the Son.

2 comments:

Kim said...

This was a great post, thanks!

And, by the way, I've tagged you to take part in "What's in a name?" meme. SImply jump over to my blog for the rules if you feel like playing along. No pressure...
Kim

Rachel Pierson said...

Dear Erica,

This is an excellent post. I will chew on your thoughts of walking in the shadow of Him, and what that means. It reminds me of something I saw a couple of weeks ago:

There is a cow pasture near where we live, I cross over a bridge that goes through it on my way home. We have had precious little rain this summer, and that day, the sky began to fling large drops of water as I crossed that bridge. The cows, I think were surprised and began to move. There was, with his mom, a very young calf. It must have been about a week old, and it was trying to stay with his mom, while also trying to be protected from this strange invasion by her. When you talked about dwelling so close to God, this image came to mind. That is what this little, dismayed calf was trying to do.

Love,
Rachel