Saturday, May 12, 2007

30 Days of Obedience - Day 20

Hebrews 13:17
"Obey those who rule over you and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account. Let them do so with joy and not with grief, for that would be unprofitable for you."

If you have ever been in a place of authority, rather it be with children, the workplace, or in church, who would you rather have under your authority? Would you rather have someone who submits willingly or one who argues and fights with all that you ask? Working at the daycare has helped me to understand this verse better. I so much enjoy the kids with they listen and do what is right. I can relax and join in with their play times. However, when they are misbehaving and not listening I have a terrible time. I hate raising my voice & being "mean" toward them. I can't join into their playtimes with them, because I have to keep my eye on them trying to predict their next move.

Just as I prefer to have obedient children in the daycare, causing great joy, so do those over me have joy instead of grief when I willingly submit to them. Unless those who are in authority are asking us to sin, then they have been placed over us for safety. For instance, there is a strong rule at the daycare about no gossiping. Not only does this protect workers, but also the ones who would gossip and get caught up in a mess. Authority has been placed for our own good and to keep us accountable.

No comments: