First, I must share an analogy.
I sit here at my computer, while Jack lays on the bed. Every time I get up to do simple tasks such as blow my nose, get a book off a shelf in order to mail it, etc. Jack jumps off the bed eager to see what I am doing & to see if it involves him. Am I like this with God? Do I jump to see what God is up to when I hear His voice? Do I look to see if I am to be involved in part of His plan? Or, do I sit, waiting for Him to poke me & tell me to get up & get busy? Just a thought.
Genesis 14:19-20
"And he blessed him and said:
'Blessed be Abram of God Most High,
Possessor of heaven and earth;
And blessed be God Most High,
Who has delivered your enemies into your hand.'
And he gave him a tithe of all."
Genesis 14:21-23
"Now the king of Sodom said to Abram, 'Give me the persons, and take the goods for yourself.'
But Abram said to the king of Sodom, 'I have raised my hand to the Lord, God Most High, The Possessor of heaven and earth, that I will take nothing, from a thread to a sandal strap, and that I will not take anything that is yours, lest you should say, "I have made Abram rich"-'"
Who are we trusting to give us wealth? How do we measure wealth? Who tells us what wealth is?
Psalm 118:8-9
"It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes."
Who are we to trust to tell us what wealth is? According to Psalm 118:8-9, we are to trust the Lord & not put our confidence in man or in princes.
1 Samuel 16:7
"But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'"
Revelation 3:17-18
"Because you say, 'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' - and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked - I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see."
Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
How are we to measure wealth? According to 1 Samuel 16:7, we are not to look on the outside of man, but at the heart. According to Revelation 3:17-18 & Matthew 6:19-21, it is not what can be found on this earth, but what can be found only in The Father.
Matthew 6:25-34
I'm only writing out verses 31-34:
"Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble."
Who are we to trust to give us wealth? According to Matthew 6:25-34, God will take care of us.
Abram passed up man's wealth to see what God had in store. Abram knew God would take care of him and all of his people that God had given him.
My final thought:
Here we have the Possessor of Heaven & Earth, God. Yet, He desires to have our hearts seeking after Him. Even God, the Creator & Possessor of Heaven & Earth, knows there are no riches in things or places, but desires to be the center of our lives. It is in us desiring Him & putting Him as the center of our lives that He finds wealth. Being the Possessor of Heaven & Earth is not enough to bring God to satisfaction. In earthly wealth He is not content. He continues to seek after the hearts of men, woman & children. God continues to amaze me!
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment