Sunday, January 28, 2007

I Need a Place

Aaron and I have lived here now for 5 months (I guess it has only been 5 months, which isn't even a half of a year). I really struggle at times with new faces. I try so hard, but my hardest try amounts to nothing as to what I see where I should be at. I don't like new faces. I'm being honest here. I would much rather see faces that I have seen 10,000 times before than see one face I do not recognize. I don't like introducing myself. I hate trying to make conversation. Why can't there just be immediate friendship? Let's skip past the "How do you do" and let me find out what makes you tick. I don't care about the weather, but I care about what you think & believe. Is it an American thing to not know your neighbor or even the person standing next to you in the church you attend?

I want to know more than your name & where you work. I think what others don't realize is that when I ask those simple questions of a stranger it takes all my energy. I love people who just carry the conversation in order that I can learn more about the individual. I don't like having to dig up the goods. I think what it might boil down to is that I would rather be the one hiding the goods, & someone else to do the digging if they want to find out more about me. But then, that makes me wonder if a person actually cares or are they just trying to make conversation?

Lately, I've been wondering why God would make a Christian as someone who doesn't like new faces. I much prefer the deep conversations & thoughtful observations that only comes with old faces. I think all my life I see the perfect Christian as someone who talks to anyone they meet on the street, a person who can strike up a conversation with a toad, a person who can minister to the street bum hiding behind the dumpster. I can not be that person. I was not created that way. In my ideal world, the bum would have to enter into my world a little bit as to not make me frightened. Once a trust level was gained, I would have the bum over for dinner. Not just once, but ten dozen times. After that ten dozen times, than I might share myself with that person. Eventually, I might invite them to small group, talk to them about the gospel, etc. However, in the real world it is the first step I struggle with the most. The part where I would have to enter their world.

One thing for sure though about me and you can ask my close friends: Once you have my trust & friendship gained, you won't be able to get rid of me very easily. My step-dad described me at one time as long-suffering. When my friends suffer, I suffer in my heart. I can't help but feel their pain. In the past I have compared it to the friendship between David & Jonathan (1 Sam. 20:17).

As I think upon my past & where I am now, I can't help but think of the times I have been hurt. We've all been hurt by others. The times where it hurts the most though is when I don't have a friend to share it with or it was a friend who turned their back on me. I've only had one friend turn their back on me & we have since made amends & went our own way.

I do struggle with making friends now because I just think everyone should be close friends. I don't understand how it is that I could grow up in a church, meeting weekly with other believers in the church, struggling to stay in the church because I have no close friends my age, fight so hard to have relationships in the church and then I get married leaving the church & not a single person has called, wrote, etc. I tried in the beginning to keep the relationships going, but it hurt too much to not have it returned. It wore me out. I made a decision, right or wrong, not long ago that I wouldn't have any more one-sided friendships unless the person was a non-believer.

How in the future am I to know if a person will forever be a close friend or not? Why bother being friends at all if it only turns out to be aquaintances? It hurts to try and get connected here, because I know that we will be moving again in around 3 years & when we move it will be like we were never here. It takes all my energy to get to know one person, let alone a whole sea of faces.

Have you ever went to a group or church function & wondered what happened to "so-n-so?" You don't know exactly when they left, but all of a sudden you realize they are gone? At one time, you were even good friends with this person? Well, I feel that will be us in three years when we leave this area. People will go down a list of people they once knew & maybe even talk about what became of them, but then that will be it. There will be no continuing friendship, no telephone calls, no letters that say they are thinking of us, etc.

I move on in life, knowing I have very dear friends back home that will never be lost. At the same time though, it would be nice to have at least one close friend nearby that I can call on a Friday night to bake cookies with me or watch a movie. A friend to giggle with, laugh with, have deep conversations with, walk with, & really know on a more personal level. As I think about it, this is the first time in my life where I have no friend like that close by. It is no wonder I struggle. God has truly spoiled me in the past with close friends.

Sometimes I wonder if close friends are harder to gain once you get married? Since marriage, I have made a few friends, but only in a couples way. Once again, not that real deep personal depth. Aaron is my best friend, but sometimes I just need a girlfriend. I guess you could pray for me & that God would provide that need within me.

Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far in my ramblings.

4 comments:

Rebecca Nugent said...

I understand what you're saying here. I think that when I was younger, I used to be that person who could talk to anyone, anywhere, find out about their lives, etc. But I think after "life" happens for awhile, whether it is hurt in your life, marriage, and so on, it is so much harder just to be so open to other people. All the more reason to pray for God's grace to love others, regardless of if we feel like it or if it is what is comfortable for us.

Kim said...

Dearest Erica.
WOW! That is a hard place to be. I remember when I first moved here. I had already, by the age of 10 moved 11 times. Then I lived in the same place till I went to college, went home a few months then married and came here.

I was SHY!! Please note the capital letters. I was SHY SHY SHY. Small talk? NO WAY!! But, eventually I started to meet people. Then, everyone started moving away, you know like YOU did. One year my six best friends moved away in three months. I told God I would NOT EVER be friends with anyone connected to IU.

Here's a hint... don't ever tell God never. (I also told him I would never teach again. ha ha) Anyway, so many of my friends have since been a part of IU in one fashion or another.

I had to decide if I was willing to be lonely for the rest of my life or if I was willing to be hurt occasionally by those who didn't care enough or at all or moved away or what have you.

Then MaryLee showed up. OH MY!! Talk about pushing me OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE> She would grab my arm, point to a new person at church and say, "Go greet them. See if they have kids. WHy are they here? Then, come tell me." That last was interesting. I know she did it because she cared about the people coming to church. But, once she put it that way I couldn't weasle out. Then, lo and behold I ended up working with the greeters for 3 years and one of my most favorite greeters was you.

You WERE quiet, and neither of us was great at small talk, but somehow without saying a lot you felt "safe" and "strong." Then you moved away.

So, what am I saying in this LONG comment? You are made different from others, but there is still something you have to offer people... that's you. Some will want to meet you right off the bat, some will be even more shy than you or I ever thought of being. Will you be lonely? Or, will you have friends? I pray that you will have friends. I pray that you will be a friend.

I hope that makes sense. I know the pain. I also know the joy. Today I spent a lot of time rejoicing in the friends God has given me. No, I don't always write to old friends, but there are those I can always start writing to and it will be as if we never left. Odd thing is, despite not knowing you as well as I wished I did, you are one of those ones I can write to, right here on your blog and know that you care, and I care about you as well.

Friends? Yes, friends.
Many hugs!!!
Kim

Rachel Pierson said...

Dear Erica,

I am, as we discussed on the trail, much like you. Where does this fear come from? I don't know, but I of the opinion that we are made by God with specific challenges, frailties, and strengths.

I remember in Flint, going to a women's Bible study, hoping to get to know and make friends with the woman who was leading it. She was an older woman, and she opened the first meeting with her reflections on friendship. She said that she was convinced that you NEVER make friends in adulthood the same as you did in your youth. Paraphrased, my heart heard, "Rachel, you will NEVER have friends!"

I remember, always the first time I met you. It was at my first Women's Retreat. I, after my arrival, nearly got back in my car and left. I was, of course in a room with a woman I didn't know, because I didn't know anyone well. Then, you arrived. You became my hero. You literally did not know anyone, and had never laid eyes on anyone! You were brave! I determined that I would not be so frightened, I would be more like you!

I also decided that I am part of this family, and that if you can hug and talk to your family...well, they will just have to put up with it. This is a decision that I make and unmake regularly (so, if anyone sees me looking like a turtle, you will now know that I am struggling with this. Just grab me and pull me right out of that shell, OK?).

I am still shy. I purposely have to put that aside. I know how you feel, though.

I was feeling like Kim was describing just the other day. Someone that I love was saying that they were probably going to move soon, and another person I love will be moving in about a year or less. I get this feeling in my heart, like, "Why bother?" (Eyore)

Then I realized that if I never see them again here, I will see them in heaven and the "here" is where God has put us "NOW."

I don't know if this helps at all, but I wanted you to see you from my window. You are my hero, and I think fondly of you often.

Your blog is so thought-provoking! It is encouraging to me to see your daily devotional reading and meditating.

Keep it up, and share yourself with others, purposefully, prayerfully, and unreservedly.

Love,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I completely understand and feel the same way. I have a few friends, but no-one close that I can truly poor out my heart too, and just call to come hang out at a moments notice. Sometimes I truly miss you and Nikki so much. Sometimes I even miss the old days. I think most of this just comes with growing up and getting married and everything. My husband is definately my best friend, but I totally agree, sometimes you just need girl time. There are some things that a guy will just never understand. There are also times when I just want to be silly with a girl friend and know that they already except me for who I am. That is what old friends are best for, you can totally be yourself and you know they will always still be your friend no matter how silly you may be. I just want you to know that your friendship has truly been a treasure in my life. Even though we have both moved on and gone seperate ways and live miles apart, I still think about you often. We will have to come visit again. I am praying for you.
Love,
Robin bff :)