Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Seth

Genesis 4:25
"And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and named him Seth, 'For God has appointed another seed for me instead of Abel, whom Cain killed.'"

I did not continue with Adam, because the story of Adam and Eve eating from the tree of life is well known. I also purposely did not go through the story of Cain killing Abel. My point in this study is to go through the lineage of Christ starting with Adam. I am trying to pick up things I never realized before.

A couple questions that may never be answered, but thought I would throw them out there:

1. Would Abel be in the lineage of Christ had Cain not killed him?

2. It was Eve speaking, not God, when she said that Seth was given because of the loss of Abel. Would Seth have been born anyway?

Genesis 4:26
"And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the Lord."

More questions:

1. Do you think after God created Adam there were other men created outside the garden once Adam and Eve were banned? I think there would have to be since their sons took wives.

2. I wonder if the men who began to call on the name of the Lord saw testimony of God through Seth, Enosh, or what made them decide to call on the name of the Lord?

A note in my Bible says that before this point, such as in the case of Cain, man relied on self. A new age had come where man relied upon the name of the Lord.

Cain killed Abel because of jealousy. Had he been focusing on the Lord, he would have been trusting God and not his own labor for fruit (or lack there of).

Genesis 5:3
"And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth."

Unlike Adam, Seth was born in the image of man. Seth would possess all the sin qualities Adam had caused for all generations to follow.

Genesis 5:4-8
"After he begot Seth, the days of Adam were eight hundred years; and he had sons & daughters. Seth lived one hundred and five years, and begot Enosh. After he begot Enosh, Seth lived eight hundred and seven years, and had sons and daughters. So all the days of Seth were nine hundred & twelve years; and he died."

1 comment:

Kim said...

Just when I think I know where you are headed you surprise me, and enlighten me. Thanks!! I am enjoying following your study.
Blessings, Kim