I believe Thanksgiving is becoming my favorite holiday. Usually people choose Christmas as a favorite holiday. I love Christmas, don't get me wrong. I love being around family and all the others things that come with the winter season. Thanksgiving is the only holiday I can think of that has not become distorted in my mind.
Last night was the first time ever for me to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters. Growing up we went trick-or-treating two times that I can remember. One year I was a rabbit and another year a clown. Every year I debate in my head, search my heart and ask God for a lightning bolt answer as to rather or not Halloween is about innocent children going door to door getting candy or if it is an evil holiday due to its origin that should be ignored in its entirety. Every year I come up with no straight answer.
Around the Christmas season I go through the same thoughts as with Halloween. Most Christians celebrate Christmas without a second thought. After all, they are celebrating the birth of Christ. Most Christians did not have a father who did not celebrate Christmas (or any other holiday for that matter). Therefore, they celebrate as they have been taught or celebrate a little differently with a little more meaning than what they were taught. I celebrate Christmas every year with some hesitation. "The origin of Christmas did not begin with the birth of Christ." "No where in the Bible does it tell us to set aside a special day to celebrate the birth of Christ." "Aren't we to celebrate Christ every day of the year?" "Gifts can be given all year, why set aside one day?" These four thoughts are always in the back of my head ringing. I do my best every year to ignore them. Are they just the beliefs of my father or is it truth to be heeded?
Another year comes and another year goes. Every year these thoughts return. I would love to just be able to totally enjoy Christmas and be released from these thoughts for just one year. Every year after would be great too. For now, I celebrate Thanksgiving freely knowing its origin and knowing the meaning has not changed. Maybe people don't thank God as they should, but they still can't help but think of all they are thankful for as the friends and family gather together.
Exodus 15:2
"The Lord is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; my father's God, and I will exalt Him."
Psalm 69:30
"I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving."
Psalm 100:4
"Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name."
Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Erica,
This is so true!! I kind of feel the same way, and I am going to post about it!
Love ya,
Post a Comment