Thursday, November 09, 2006

Adam - Part II

YESTERDAY

Genesis 2:18-20
"And the Lord God said, 'It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.' Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave name to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field, but for Adam there was not found a helper comparable to him."

I don't think I'm capable of giving any answers on this one. I've sat here for about a half hour thinking about what to write, but all I have are questions.

1. Why was it not good for man to be alone?

2. Was Adam created with the feeling of lonliness?

3. To feel lonely, is that wrong?

4. Since God created man, why did he just create Adam to be content without a woman?

Let me try and approach this from a different angle. God felt anger and he reacted out of anger at times. So when exactly does a response become a sin? I'm going to stop for now, because all I can come up with are more questions.

TODAY

Last night I talked to Aaron about a couple of my questions. I think what it boils down to is that we were created to desire intimate relationship. We were created to desire relationship on many levels. Girls need girls to giggle with and to relate details with. Men need men to talk about sports, tools, & whatever else they talk about. However, with marriage there is a different kind of bond that is shared with no one else. I look back to Monday night at small group. We went around and told testimony of how God has been working in our lives through small group. Aaron said that this move has been the easiest out of all his moves, because he didn't have to struggle through lonliness. He still desires friendships with guys, but that is coming along. I, on the other hand have never moved away from home. In the same sense though I would have never moved away from home without a husband. I just couldn't imagine the lonliness of being single to a new place knowing no one. I loved home too much & the friends & family I was surrounded by to make a move on my own.

As I look upon "Adam - Part I" I am reminded once again that God wants us to delight in His creation. He also meant for that to be on many different levels. Not only did He create us with a longing for relationship with people, but also put a longing within us to desire relationship with Him. Adam had to communicate with God to tell God the names of the animals. It was in the communication part I believe God delighted in also.

We also talked about the anger of God. Aaron's simple answer was that God reacting out in anger was not sin, because He was God. He also stated that God always gave plenty of warning. I find both of these statements to be true. Just as we discipline our children, He disciplined a people He had set aside for Himself. The two cases I brought up to Aaron were Sodom & Gomorrah and also how He continually dealt with the Israelites. Maybe Monday's blog will be on Sodom & Gomorrah or the Israelites.

Lord, I pray right now for understanding. In Proverbs 2:6, Your Word states that from Your mouth come knowledge & understanding. May I drink from Your mouth the knowledge & understanding only You can give. I lift up the relationship with Aaron You have blessed me with. Draw us closer to You first & foremost. Draw us closer together through Your Word. I pray for my relationship with friends back home. I so much desire to keep the friendships alive, but Lord is does take more work being afar. I pray it would be two-sided. I pray that we can still be encouragements to one another despite the distance. I pray for the relationship I have with my parents. I pray that You would continue to speak in our lives & that Your Word would continually be fresh. Draw us together as You would have us to be. I pray for my sibling relationships. Lord, You know the distances we face across the U.S.A., but I pray that You would still draw us closer. Help us to reach out to one another. In all this I pray, Amen.

No comments: