In women's Bible study we have been doing the study "Jesus the One and Only" by Beth Moore. As I study, more and more I realize how much I don't know. I have been a Christian since around age 12-13 and have had Bible verses engrained into my very being. However, there is so much more to learn. For the past year and a half, I feel my awe has been gone. It has been a long time since I have read a scripture, really read the scripture, and just sat and marveled at it. I feel the time is coming to a close and I am once again ready to sit at my Savior's feet and just learn from His Word and just sit in awe at His very being.
Matthew 3:1-4
"In those days John the Baptist came preaching in the wilderness of Judea, and saying, 'Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand!' For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying:
'The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
Prepare the way of the Lord;
Make His paths straight.'
Now John himself was clothed in camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey."
Ok, now picture John the Baptist with me here. What was God thinking when He chose this crazy looking man to prepare the way of the Lord? I mean this is God here in flesh and blood. The Bible speaks of Christ not being one to especially look upon (Isaiah 53:2), but from this description the only thing that would draw people to John the Baptist to listen to his message would be "the wild look" about him. I picture him as a crazy man on the streets yelling from a park bench or something at the crowds. People draw near to listen to the crazy man, because large crowds are always drawn to the things that are out of the norm. We gather around fights, slow down at accidents, think twice before passing someone that looks like John the Baptist. However, if we were to see John the Baptist with a group of disciples around him we would lose all hesitation to sneak closer to listen to his message. On second thought, maybe God knew what He was doing?
Interesting Facts:
Camel hair (The Clothing) - Gathered from the fine, soft underlayer of the camel's hair collected from late spring to early summer (molting season) when camels naturally shed their hair.
Why would John the Baptist wear camel hair? Camel hair garments are worn by native desert travellers to protect them from the heat.
http://www.cashmere.org/english/facts.htm
I love how facts can change your way of looking at things. Maybe wearing camel hairs wasn't such a bad idea and probably the popular dress of his time. It was how the camel kept cool, why couldn't man use what the camel left behind?
Ok, so say John the Baptist was a normal looking man for his time. My Bible has a sidenote that says eating locusts and wild honey was not uncommon for desert people.
The book of Mark describes John the Baptist the same exact way. Luke and John didn't take the time to describe John the Baptist, at least not at this point of his ministry.
So, what stood out about John the Baptist that he was able to draw people and prepare the way for the coming Lord? Maybe it was because John had an outgoing personality? Maybe John was good looking? Maybe, maybe, maybe...
The answer which we all hate is coming...
His ways are not our ways. (Isaiah 55:8) Maybe when I am a more mature Christian the answer shall come to me. If you have any thoughts, please share.
Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Erica,
You said that: "For the past year and a half, I feel my awe has been gone..."
Blogs are neat because you can glance back at the places God has taken you and the way He has renewed your mind. This will not always be "felt" but it will be seen as a gradual, or sometime sudden transformation.
Your blog sometimes makes me speechless in its depth.
We are reminded several times that I can think of in the Bible to look back and remember where the Lord found us, and the mighty works He has done.
Take a look back and see what He has taken you through, and be encouraged, and Praise His name.
Rachel
Post a Comment