Thursday, August 31, 2006

On My Little Adventures

I have been either running or walking daily and thought I would share a few things I see on these little adventures. Today I spotted yet another Heron. I'm not sure what kind it is and I continue to wonder. I can not get close enough to them to see them clearly. I forget to take my camera to use the zoom feature. They are flighty birds and as soon as they see or sense me they fly off.

As a child I was taught to not pick flowers out of nature, but sometimes I wish I could with no guilt. I would love to have wild flowers in my vase inside the hotel. Of course, they would die short of a week and I would feel bad knowing I didn't listen to what I was taught. I don't see how it is any different then getting flowers from the store, but yet in my conscience it is.

I have been seeing Praying Mantises everywhere for some reason. I decided to do a little research on them just to find out more. They are freaky looking insects. They scare me just a little. I found out the first meal they have when they exit the egg is usually a sibling. Now I find them even a little more freaky. http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/mantids/praying/

I wondered and searched all over the internet trying to find out how long of a trail it is within Prairie Park where I have been walking to no avail. Yesterday when I wasn't even looking it was right there in front of me the whole time. The total distance: 1.39 miles.

Every walk is an adventure with the dog. Sometimes he can be so well-behaved. Others times, well, not so much. Today was an in between day. I decided to let him go swimming in the creek. Boy, he loves to swim.

On a runner's post a while back a girl commented how she didn't like to run on the roads because of roadkill. I can understand that. On the trail I have spotted the smaller animals. I have seen a dead frog and a dead field mouse. I guess the smaller are better than the bigger.

All over the path in Prairie Park, there are chalk markings pointing out which way to go for a 10k. Yesterday I decided to backtrack and see where the beginning was. I gave up after feeling like I was sneaking through an elementary school yard and through a neighborhood. I didn't like the feeling of going too far away from the unknown.

I've been in Dekalb almost 3 weeks now and already know my way around town. How cool is that? Of course, it is a small city and you could run in almost any direction and hit a corn field. It would be an easy city to only own a bike for transportation. Wal-Mart is all the way on the other side of town and it is only 3 miles away. There are just lots of stoplights to make it seem farther away.

These are my thoughts for right now. Yippeee!

No comments: