Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Game of Life

Do you ever feel like you are in a rat race and the cat has you in his mouth? I've had one of those days. It's those days when you get up in the morning just like any other morning, go to work like every other morning, and you do the same thing you have done for about 1,000 or more days before it. Does anyone ever win in this game? Is it a game that is played as our lives unfold before us only to end in death? I washed the same pan tonight that I was every night before I go to bed. Will it ever stay clean or wash itself? Ok, sorry if this sounds depressing. I have a name for these kind of days. I like to call it an Ecclesiastes kind of day.

Why you ask? Well, read Ecclesiastes and you will understand. This book may depress you, but the end is wonderful.

The kind of day I am having is in Chapter 1, verse 9, "That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun."

How do you win the rat race? Read Chapter 12, verses 13-14, "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all. For God will bring every work into judgment, including every secrect thing, whether good or evil."

Chapter 12, verses 9-12 are also uplifting, "And moreover, because the Preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yes, he pondered and sought out and set in order many proverbs. The Preacher sought to find acceptable words; and what was written was upright - words of truth. The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shephard. And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh."

Why do I find hope in such verses? Jesus lived on this earth also, but He was wise and still taught the people knowledge. He pondered and sought out. The Preacher sought to find acceptable words. They were words of truth. There is no end to making books of knowledge given from the One and as one seeks the truth the flesh becomes wearisome. God wins!

No comments: