Sunday, February 26, 2006

Thoughts

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

Aaron has been quiet today. This is not unusual and it is all fine. However, I realized today that whenever he is in these quiet moods I continually ask him what he is thinking. This got me to thinking myself.

I started thinking about my motive behind asking him what he is thinking. I thought about my asking him today and the dozens of other times I have asked him. What is my motive for asking? Today it was because I wanted to know more of what he is thinking to know him better. I want to understand his thought process. Other times though, the reasons may not be so innocent.

Sometimes I ask because I want to catch him in wrong thinking. Other times I may ask to see if he is thinking of me. Other times I may ask to see how deep or not deep he thinks about things. My motives differ I guess depending on my mood.

Aren't you glad God isn't like me? God's motives for us are of peace and to give us a future and a hope. He knows our thoughts of evil, but yet He still desires good for us.

Because of my motive today though of wanting to know Aaron more and wanting to understand his thought process, it also got me to thinking of something else. God knows our thoughts, but how often do we spend those thoughts with Him? I'm not sure exactly how to word this, but maybe this is a good way.

Imagine you could read someones thoughts. Of course, this could be scary. However, still pretend. By knowing this persons thoughts you would get to know this person very, very well. However, they don't know your thoughts and don't know you very well at all. For me, we will say Aaron (compared to if he knew my thoughts, he doesn't know me very well at all). Now, what if he never wanted to spend time with me. He always ignored me.

Now, relate this to our relationship with God. He knows us very well. After all, He created us. Why is it then that we push Him aside so often? There is nothing to hide. Don't you want to get to know the very One who knows you so deep? Shouldn't we desire to know our Father's will? In reality the One who knows us the most is the One we hide from the most. So often I spend time with others (which isn't bad), but yet I don't spend time with my Maker. I am convicted in these thoughts of mine, but then again "Are they really my thoughts or God calling me to Him?"

No comments: